A new publication by Makena Coffman, Paul Bernstein, Maja P. Schjervheim, Sumner La Croix, and Sherilyn Hayashida looks at the effects of Hawai‘i’s Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS), a state-level electricity standard that requires 100% electricity generation through renewable sources by 2045.
In the paper:
- The authors develop a CGE model of the Hawai‘i economy and GHG emissions.
- The RPS reduces Hawai‘i GHG emissions and household welfare.
- GHG equivalent carbon taxes (without dividends) also reduce welfare.
- Equal share dividend payments yield progressive and often positive welfare impacts.
- Electric-sector-only policies result in lower electric vehicle adoption.
Makena Coffman, Paul Bernstein, Maja P. Schjervheim, Sumner La Croix, Sherilyn Hayashida, A Comparison of State-Level Carbon Reduction Strategies: A Case Study of Hawai‘i, Energy and Climate Change, 2023, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egycc.2023.100100.